Thursday, February 11, 2010

For the love of Jennifer


I can't believe that it has almost been a year since my dear friend Jennifer passed away on Valentine's Day. It's hard to find the words that express the gratitude that I feel to have been friends with her for 25 years. We never "get over" anyone's death - we just learn to live without them here on earth.
I have little reminders of her in lots of places. Cards she sent me in the past are still on my desk. Perfume, jewelry or clothes she gave me as gifts. The gardening tote she had for me, but didn't get sent Christmas 2008. Holiday decorations, photos, gifts to my kids etc. The most special reminders of all are of times together and her words to me. Don't wait until it is too late to say "I love you, I know you can do it, your amazing or thank you dear friend." I wish I'd had the time to say those things one more time to her.
Many years ago she sent me a photo of herself in a picture frame that has these words around the edges: "Hey Girlfriend, We may not see each other for ages, but we never seem to miss a beat? Our friendship is a never ending conversation..."
Today I have a more recent photo of her in a frame that says around the edges: "Love all those around you, live life to the fullest, and laugh as often as you can." This is what she did.

1 comment:

  1. How great to have a friend like that and to actually recognize your relationship and honor it like you have done. I think we all have friends like that but are so busy with life that we don't stop and recognize them. They slip away and are in our memories but never really know how much they have affected our lives. Thanks for sharing and making me stop and think.

    ReplyDelete